Pretty Blue Antique Washstand
Published March 17, 2020
This old antique washstand was transformed with one of our Lustrum Collection colors, Fancy Frock by Faye from Farm Life Best Life! Keep reading to learn all about her painting techniques.
I’m just a lil’ swoon over antique washstands! They are especially versatile pieces that can fit into ANY size home or cottage! AND they’re super enjoyable furniture-flips! I’ve had opportunity to transform a few to-date — ‘Jitterbug‘, ‘Driftwood & Cheesecake‘, and ‘Liquorice‘… and was eager for another!
Although small-scale pieces — they most definitely vary in size… some little enough for a bedside table, others large enough for a dresser.
This most recent one I elatedly came across is quite larger than the others I’ve done to-date and currently have stored in my queue — making it quite unique… which resulted in it going right to the front of my paint line, as opposed to being added to my waiting list!
I envisioned a beachy coastal look n’ feel for this piece, and was eager to get started:
- • Removed drop-pull handles ~ while pondering whether to replace, polish or paint
- • Searched through my hardware for a replacement knob (missing from door) ~ and there it was… like it was meant to be… waiting for JUST this piece
- • Lightly sanded down ~ to best prepare for chalk paint adhesion
- • Vacuumed and cleaned ~ final prep before the real fun begins
- • Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in 1 of their 20 NEW colours — ‘Fancy Frock’ to the body ~ a beachy coastal sea glass blue
- • Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Vanilla Frosting’ to the hardware ~ my forever go-to farmhouse white
- • Lightly sanded down for a buttery smooth and distressed finish ~ this step truly and literally feels like butter
- • Applied Country Chic Paint ‘Natural Wax‘ ~ which I find eases the application of coloured wax
- • Applied Country Chic Paint ‘Grey Wax‘ ~ to accentuate the charm, add some aging depth, and for light protection
- • Lined drawers with a charming ‘Frosty White Lace’ Con-Tact self adhesive ~ a lil’ extra love goes a long way